Thursday, May 27, 2010

Memorial Day Tribute to My Father

Growing up, I never gave much thought to Memorial Day until my Dad passed away six years ago. He was a disabled veteran who lost his eye sight and left hand in Luxembourg, February of 1945 (three months before WWII ended). While our family honored Memorial Day, we never discussed it's significance because my Dad never talked about or paid tribute to those who were wounded in the war.

Francis Gene Morgan Rawe (before being wounded at age 24)


My Mom, Elizabeth Jeanette, and my Dad began dating when she was 16. Here she sits, reading a letter from him with his picture sitting close by. He had asked her to wait for him until he got out of the war. She said yes. YES, and yet not realizing what she was really agreeing to. Years of struggles and a life dedicated to the needs of my Dad, six children and ultimately, being eyes for both herself and him.


Not one to bring attention to his own disabilities, my Dad expected those around him to respect his decision to appear normal. Today however, I would like to pay tribute to just a few of his accomplishments:


6 children


14 grandchildren


17 great grandchildren


and a small farm that still exists today.


His legacy lives on because he never gave up even when death was calling out his name 65 years ago. He was a hard worker, persistent, giving, and above all, NEVER A QUITTER.



Gene (Dad), Jeanette (Mom), Janet, Larry, Duane, Nancy, Lynda and me, at the bottom after having gotten in trouble for not smiling.


Mom and Dad taken several years before their 59th Wedding Anniversary.


For all that you gave me and who you were, thanks Dad. I love you. You and Mom are both my HEROES.

Sally

14 comments:

Andy's Attic said...

Sally, I sit here with tears in my eyes for your beautiful tribute to your father. He would be so proud of you.
Annette

Out in the Fields said...

I have a Dad who also served in WWII. He is going to be 90 this year. Thank you for honoring the great heroes who served and then just went on and lived their lives without complaining! That generation was made of some tough stuff.

Florence said...

What a beautiful tribute. Thanks for sharing. Florence

BirdSong said...

Your life, your own family, and your many accomplishments are truly a tribute to your Dad.

You are one of the most talented people I know!

Sue xoxo

K910athrinA_Petrin0 said...

你的選擇就是做或不做,不做就永遠不會有機會.............................................

Karen said...

That was beautiful! What a wonderful family you had! Karen

Gail said...

Sally,
I love this post! What an amazing man your Dad was, and your Mom sounds pretty awesome too..you must be so proud of both of them!

韋于倫成 said...

生命是一頓豐富的宴席,有人卻寧可挨餓..................................................

退 said...

沒有經過反省的人生,是不值得活的人生..................................................

家JeneeHazelwood0424愛 said...

財富並非永遠的朋友,但朋友卻是永遠的財富。 ............................................................

Molly @ A Bit O' Shine said...

What a beautiful tribute! So important to keep honoring our veterans even if they are no longer with us.

Drove by the shop today but I was going to graduation party and...I don't even know if you're open Sundays, haha, but I was pointing and going, "ooh ahh!" as I went by.

hernande said...

成人情色論壇 aa 片俱樂部視訊i68美女 視訊女郎成人 情色 aa片免費看影片色漫畫帝國 免費a網,免費視訊辣妹 免費av999 sex影片視訊分享區 免費視訊聊天 ex jp成人-免費聊天室 夜色網 avhigh 視訊交友av1688 閃亮天使520聊天室 bt名模論壇 性感辣妹,sex女優 免費影片直播網 免費無碼影片 g8mm 網 34c高雄視訊聊天 正妹影音mmshow 成人a片網 oec 喔伊細辣妹視訊交友 yam交友天堂 777視訊美女 666成人網 哈啦視訊聊天室 性愛姿勢,sogo 色論壇 新竹援交a片免費線上看 a片-癡電車漢 kk俱樂部thmt aa成人漫畫 18禁聊天 18禁成人網 免費影片觀賞 洪爺免費a影片線上直 jp激麻a電影 聊天室交友b shop 成人視訊mela ,g點,免費a片,免費18影片 聊天室環球辣妹聊天室 90691 免費 aa 片試看情色文學 線上 aa 片試看嘟嘟,免費線上a電影 成人交友qk176 辣妹聊天室 90691 AV 前線 avdvd ut聊天室找一夜女 girl5320 貼片et免費影片下載 美國免費 aa 片試看aio 倉井空免費影片 wc123美色女影城 jp成人網

TodRaine1025 said...

台灣性樂園台灣色情論壇三點全裸台灣成人色情網色情站美女脫胸罩愛愛圖片台灣色情成人網站辣妹妹影音視訊聊天室情色區g罩杯美女av性愛女生自慰圖成人交友網站色情區丁字褲貼圖成人視訊聊天hi sex台灣十八成人丁字褲自拍太太陰毛火辣美眉成人色情圖片網視訊打槍美女聊天一夜激情一夜情聊天網成人聊天網激情成人聊天室上床圖片火辣情色辣妹聊天美女色情情趣丁字褲亞洲情色論壇情色天空三點全露內衣秀台灣色情網站成人裸照av成人論壇成人文學
成人文學

淑貞 said...

Many a true word is spoken in jest...................................................................

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...