Sunday, May 23, 2010

Womens and Chicks

I stopped by this garage sale today that was actually inside an old house. As soon as I pulled up, my picker instinct heart started that quick paced beating with excitement. My kids were with me and they know as soon as I make that certain sound and get that certain look on my face that they were in for the long haul waiting in the back seat. Good thing I bribed them with ice cream! (I sooo want to call myself a picker now...I H.E.A.R.T. American Pickers!!!)

Sure enough, junk galore. Ahhh, bliss.

I started my pile and while wandering towards the outside enclosed porch, I spotted a box that I really needed to have. Nothing was marked, so I asked the sweet little old lady what she wanted for it.

"$25, " she stated. I paused..."Would you take $15?"
She paused..."I'd go $20."
I hemmed and hawed and made a minor production and said,

"Ok, I'll take it."

Upon returning to the house after running out to open the truck for her kind husband that loaded it for me...she gave me the total for what I owed her.

"Um, I don't think that's right," I said. I pointed out the prices she had given me for my few pots and concrete things I had piled up and then said, "and $20 for the box."

Sweet lady: "No, I said the box was $25."
Me: "Well at first you did, but we agreed on $20."
Sweet lady: "Nope, $25 is what I said."
Me: "Hmmmm." For those of you that know me, I'm not very quick on my feet as far as responses go, and since the box was already in my truck and every one was staring at me,
I caved.


"Ok," I said quietly....
kicking myself inside.

As I handed over my money with a clenched fist, she said, "You know what would be really cute in those pots?"
Me: "What?"
Sweet Lady: "Womens and chicks."
Me: "Oh, hens and chicks?"
Sweet Lady: "Yeah, that's what I meant."
Bless her heart.

Lisa :-)

7 comments:

Florence said...

What adventure you had there, when I used to take my girls garage saleing when they were young, I would bribe then with something special, it always worked just great. Florence

My Shabby Passion said...

Lisa-
Now, that is a funny story! Wonder what was in the box? I thought you were gonna say how you found some gold nuggets in there or somethin'!
And did you say "concrete"?! Now, that's where you probably scored.
Can hardly wait to see what you got!
Michelle

Meri said...

You're kind to say "bless her heart" when she was so duplicitous (or forgetful). Hope you're delighted with your finds nonetheless.

Andy's Attic said...

Great story, Lisa. It is so interesting to meet the people at these sales...you just never know....
Annette

Wendy said...

Cute story! Glad to know I am not the only one who uses ice cream with the kids to get them to treasure hunt with me!!
Excited to follow along with you on your adventures :)
Wendy

Junebug Furniture and Design said...

What a sweet, sweet story! My daughter has a DVD player in her car, for moments like that! Happy you got your trunk:) Glad & Celia/Junebug

Junebug Furniture and Design said...

Lisa ~
Thanks for stopping by, we are following you! It would be wonderful if you could make it to Spokane in October to our 2nd Mad Hatter Vintage Flea Market:) Glad & Celia/Junebug

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...